Gwangju International Exchange Activities
Through a wide range of international exchange activities such as exchanges with sister cities abroad, expansion of the sister city network, active hosting of international conferences, and foreign investment attraction, the City of Gwangju is exerting its efforts to solidify its status as a leading international city of the 21st century.
- Taiwan - Tainan City (since September 17, 1968)
- Location: Tainan City (Southwest)
- Area: 176㎢ (Population 1.88 million)
- Characteristics: Taiwan's southern center for economy, culture, transportation and education
- Major Exchange Programs: Cultural exchanges, youth orchestra visits, etc.
- U.S.A. – City of San Antonio (since February 4, 1982)
- Location: Texas, U.S.A.
- Area: 950㎢ (Population 1.2 million)
- Characteristics: Strategic air and railway transportation center of the southern United States; a military city with five bases nearby
- Major Exchange Programs: Exchanges between cultural art groups and economic delegates
- People's Republic of China - Guangzhou (since October 25, 1996)
- Location: Guangdong Province, PRC (160km from Hong Kong by land)
- Area: 7,434㎢ (Population 14.5 million)
- Characteristics: China's southern center for economy, culture and transportation
- Major Exchange Programs: Trade expositions, cultural art group exchanges
- The road in front of the World Cup Stadium was named "Guangzhou Road" to commemorate the 2002 World Cup pre-match of the Chinese national team in Gwangju. A stone bearing the name of the road was unveiled on June 4, 2002.
- Republic of Indonesia - City of Medan (since September 24, 1997)
- Location: Northwest of Sumatra, Indonesia
- Area: 268㎢ (Population 2.3 million)
- Characteristics: Capital of North Sumatra province, third largest city in Indonesia.
- Major Exchange Programs: Student homestays, expositions, visits by entrepreneurs, etc.
- The road east of the World Cup Stadium was named "Medan Road" to commemorate the sister city agreement with Medan.
- Japan - Sendai (since April 20, 2002)
- Location: Miyagi Prefecture, northeastern Japan
- Area: 788㎢ (Population 1.25 million)
- Characteristics: Center of politics, economy, education, culture and transportation of northeastern Japan
- Major Exchange Programs: Exchanges in culture, economy, sports, flower arranging, etc.
- The road south of the World Cup Stadium was name "Sendai Road" to commemorate sister city agreement with Sendai.
- People's Republic of China - Changzhi (since December 17, 2014)
- Location: Southeast of Shanxi province, China
- Area: 13,864㎢ (Population 3.43 million)
- Characteristics: National Plantation City, Hygiene city
- Major Exchange Programs: Sisterhood agreement signed (2014), tourism exchanges and cooperation, etc.
Division in Charge : International Relations Division
Contact : +82-62-613- 6314